DSAGSL is proud to announce the formation of a new scholarship program. We are currently the only scholarship granting organization in the state of Missouri under Bryce’s Law, which is legislation passed to provide opportunities for assistance to students with developmental disabilities.
Thanks to the vision and generosity of our Board of Directors, DSAGSL has developed criteria for awarding scholarships. We are also pleased to announce the second recipient of our DSAGSL scholarship, Mike Nester. Mike is a student in the SUCCEED program at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. SUCCEED is a post-secondary program for students with disabilities, and welcomes students from throughout our region.
A limited amount of scholarship funding remains available this fiscal year (through June 30) from DSAGSL. Below is the scholarship criteria we have developed, and we encourage any interested applicants to visit DESE’s site for Bryce’s Law as well for additional info. You can download an application for a DSAGSL scholarship here. Please direct any questions about this program to Jeremie Ballinger at 314.961.2504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Criteria for the Scholarship and Assistance Program:
A pool of funds are available annually through the Down Syndrome Association of Greater St. Louis. Please note that all funds are available as they become available each fiscal year, and that each case is considered as it arrives in our office based on the remaining funds available.
Scholarships are available based on the criteria outlined in Bryce’s Law (Section 161.825 RSMo). Full details can be obtained through the Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education via phone, email or the DESE website. DSAGSL has identified the following criteria in addition to Bryce’s Law standards:
DSAGSL Scholarship Determination Criteria
- Scholarship recipients will have a diagnosed genetic / chromosomal condition
- Including, but not limited to: Down syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome, Turner syndrome, Williams Syndrome, Angelman syndrome
- Recipients, within their application packet, will present a documented need both financially and educationally
- Scholarship recipients will reside within the Greater St. Louis area. In addition to the defined metro area, Greater St. Louis includes cities that have a recognized DSAGSL Community Group.
- Scholarships are available to applicants of any age, given they meet our additional criteria
- Additional criteria may be determined by DSAGSL, its board and staff based on any combination of factors, such as the amount of scholarship funding available or the number of applications received.
- The scholarship funds awarded are to be used solely to pay for educational and job training expenses.
- All scholarship awards will be paid directly to the institution or service provider.
- Scholarship awards must be used in the 12-month period following the date of application. Should an award winner seek the renewal of a scholarship, a new application must be submitted. Previous receipt of a DSAGSL scholarship does not guarantee nor prohibit a person from receiving an additional scholarship.